Gemstone Quilts: Creating Fire & Brilliance In Fabric, Step By Step
Scheduled for release October 25, 2020
Books will ship in early November 2020
In the first of my quilting books with C&T Publishing, I use the concepts of cut, color, and clarity (3 of the 4 C’s of grading diamonds) to help you bling up your quilts. Using the same freezer paper piecing techniques I’ve used for the past 20+ years to create my giant gem quilts, you can bring your designs to life, regardless of your inspiration.
CLICK HERE to take a tour through a virtual gallery of my gem quilts and to find out more about the treasures you’ll find inside this book.
To read reviews of my quilting book, CLICK HERE.
This isn’t foundation paper piecing!
This is a traditional quilting technique using freezer paper as your template. Freezer paper is that amazing medium that allows you to write on one side and has a plastic substance on the back that adheres to fabric when you hit it with a hot iron. If you can put 2 pieces of fabric together with a quarter-inch seam allowance, YOU CAN DO THIS!
In my quilting book, I’ll explain how to…
- Find the “cut” of your design to segment it into facets — these are the “blocks” of your design
- Understand the simple coding system that will help you piece your design together
- Use color and value contrast to create sparkling designs
- Select certain fabrics to create luminosity in your design
As we progress through each of these steps, you’ll be able to follow along by creating your own lovely gem block inspired by a spectacular Mozambique Purple Garnet. Finally, you’ll have a chance to tour a gallery of my giant gem quilts, as well as quilts made by some of my students.
Throughout the quilting book, enjoy the exquisite collection of international colored gem dealers (and my friends) Laurie and Simon Watt. The stunning images were created by Geoffrey Watt.
When you purchase from my website, you’ll have the chance to let me know how to personalize and sign your quilting book! Books ship in early November in time for the holidays.
Purchasing Information for Quilting Books (Pre-Orders; Shipping November 2020)
US Residents: Residents of the US can purchase my quilting books directly from my website. CLICK HERE to purchase and to read reviews of my book. When you purchase directly from my website, you’ll be able to let me know if and how you want me to sign and personalize your book! (I am unable to ship internationally at this time. However, outlet options for Canada and Australia are listed below.)
Canadian Residents: Several Canadian shops and online retailers will have my quilting books available for pre-sale. (See links below.) And check with them about their live, virtual book-signing events! Check their websites and contact them directly for more information.
- Bow Bench Retreat (Nancy Strath; Alberta)
- A Little Extra Something Special Fabric Shop (Jayme Duncan; British Columbia)
Australian Residents: Janet Collins at From the First Stitch To the Last will have my quilting books available for pre-sale. Check Janet’s website and contact her directly for more information.
Other International Residents: Check with your favorite local quilt shop or e-retailer and ask them to carry my book. Thank you!
Note: Please keep in mind that these corrections apply only to the original patterns. I have incorporated changes to every Birthstone Series pattern since then. If you’re pattern includes the notation “REVISION 9/2018” on the side of the freezer paper pattern (next to the name of the Birthstone) you do not need to make any of these adjustments!
June 21 – 29, 2024
Quilting Cruise with MJ Kinman (Adventures by Michelle)
Join me on my very first QUILTING CRUISE! We’ll spend this 8-night/9-day Royal Caribbean cruise line adventure visiting beautiful spots in the Caribbean like St. Croix, St. Thomas, San Juan (Puerto Rico), and Coco Cay. While at sea, I’ll show you how to make 1 of 2 special quilts I designed just for this trip: “Caribbean Holiday” and “Caribbean Roses”. Both projects are twin-size quilts featuring large and small gemstone blocks.
The full kit is included in the fee, and I’ll bring a variety of backgrounds and embellishments for you to choose from to customize your quilt. Plus you’ll have lots of downtime for free sewing to your hearts content!
Michelle and I sat down to chat about our destinations, the projects, and more. Click the image below to listen in.
- 21 June 2024: Depart Port Canaveral, Florida at 4pm – Make & Take Sponsored by our Janome Provider
- 22 June 2024: Quilting and Cruising Day at Sea – Welcome Aboard Party – Evening Open Sewing
- 23 June 2024: Quilting and Cruising Day at Sea – Evening Open Sewing
- 24 June 2024: Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas from 8am to 6pm – Evening Open Sewing
- 25 June 2024: St Croix, USVI from 8am to 8pm – Evening Open Sewing
- 26 June 2024: San Juan, Puerto Rico from 7am to 4pm – Evening Open Sewing
- 27 June 2024: Quilting and Cruising Day at Sea – Evening Open Sewing
- 28 June 2024: Morning Open Sewing – Coco Cay from 9am to 5pm – Farewell Party
- 29 June 2024: Arrive Port Canaveral, Florida at 7am