Let’s not let COVID-19 prevent us from coming together and delighting in creativity with quilting class! Since I first started making my giant gem portraits 20 years ago, I’ve explored lots of traditional quiltmaking techniques in search of the best method to capture the brilliance and fire of faceted gemstones.
I’m delighted to share these techniques in a series of live, online workshops (via Zoom) that will guide others as they seek to play with faceted light in their own work. For more information, fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page. I’d love to hear from you! Meanwhile, Enjoy the 3-minute video all about my classes & events.
Live Online Trunk Show for Guilds
Gems & Joy (60-90 minutes)
The most beautiful gemstone captures light and reflects it back to us with unique brilliance, revealing its fiery personality. These are the divas and the drama queens of the gem world. Every one of them has a story to tell…just like people. This slide lecture and trunk show chronicle my story – my 20-year adventure in learning how to create the biggest diamonds in the world in cloth.
Divas and Drama Queens
In addition to showing the diamond quilts, I’ll talk about how I select gems that qualify as “divas and drama queens” and what they teach us about how to add sparkle to any art quilt. I’ll also talk about the techniques to create and assemble the hundreds of pieces in each diamond, materials I use to create the wash of color and light across a gem’s surface, and the quilting techniques that enhance a gem’s facets.
The Creative Life
And, as so often happens with any artist’s decades-long journey, I’ll share what I’ve learned from my leap from the Corporate Life and into the Creative Life, starting with the startling message I received just after I made the leap, and its joyful deciphering years later.
Live Online Zoom Presentation:
Up to 99 people if using my Zoom account
$450 (if we also book a class together, the Trunk Show is $400)
Live Online Zoom Presentation:
Max class size 20
Single-Session Live Online Quilting Class
Bite-size Gem Quilts (Full Day Class)
Confident Beginner to Advanced
Pattern-Making using Freezer Paper Piecing Techniques
Using the design and piecing techniques I rely on to create my diamond portraits, students will create their own singularly beautiful work of faceted light.
Over the course of a single day-long session, students will learn how to:
- Create a freezer paper pattern based on a mock-up of a bite-size gem that I provide.
- Understand how different types of fabrics impact the flow of light and color across their design.
- Assemble the fabric facets to create their own 18”-square mini-quilt of faceted color.
Multi-Session Live Online Quilting Class
Confident Beginner (This class is perfect for makers who want to dive into the exciting world of art quilts by learning how to find inspiration, create a composition, and chart a pattern using a powerful technique.)
Elements of Design, Pattern-Making using Freezer Paper Piecing Techniques
Are you ready to learn more about a powerful technique that will give you the tools and confidence to bring your designs to life? My live, online Treasure Hunting class is for you. I’ll share all that I have learned in my 20+ years of making giant gem quilts so that you, too, can use these amazing freezer-paper piecing techniques to take your quiltmaking to the next level.
Find your Inspiration
Regardless of whether you are new to quiltmaking or have been making quilts for decades, these techniques will give you the flexibility to transform your inspiration into remarkable works of art. My inspiration happens to be gemstones, but yours might be landscapes, flowers, animals, portraits, or abstractions. Freezer-paper piecing will help you create the quilts you’ve dreamed of, regardless of the subject matter.
Over the course of multiple quilting classes via Zoom (recommended 3-4 weekly sessions) I’ll show you how to…
- Find amazing faceted abstract vistas within gemstones to make a marvelous art piece.
- Learn how to transform your vista into a “piece-able” design.
- Code your design in a way that provides visual clues to piecing it back together again.
- Understand how to use different types of fabrics to convey light and color.
- Assemble your design into a finished quilt.
All the materials, instructions, and supply lists will be available via a PDF download. Consequently, quiltmakers outside the US can participate just as easily as those within the US (no cross-border shipping issues to deal with).
Weekly Curriculum & Supplies
A full list of weekly activities, supplies, and between-class tasks will be provided to you upon registration and payment. You will know exactly what we’ll be covering and what you need for each class before the day of class.
Live Online Zoom Presentation:
Max class size 15
Tiny Treasures Club
Making Gems Together in 2021
Skill Level: Beginner
Let’s build a community of people who love gems and quilts as much as we do — a group of people with whom we can share inspiration and celebrate creativity! The adventure starts January 15, 2021, but don’t worry if you’re just finding out about it now! Once you sign up, I’ll send you all the patterns and videos from previous months.
Here’s a snapshot of the fun I have in store for us….
Quilting Class Features
- Mini-Block Patterns — On the 3rd Friday of each month throughout 2021, I’ll send you a link to a downloadable pattern (in PDF format) of a 6″ gemstone block. (I explain a bit more about these little patterns when you click the button below.) So even if you live outside the US (where I live) you can be part of this adventure!
- Live Zoom Chats — After the pattern is released, we can jump on a live Zoom chat together. I’ll tell you about the gem that inspired the design and provide a live demonstration of the technique. You can ask me questions….and I’ll try to answer as best I can. LOL! If you can’t join us for the live event, I’ll record our conversation and post it on our private blog so that you can view it at your convenience.
- Give-Aways — I’ll give away prizes donated by some of my favorite companies. Winners will be picked based on special criteria each month (and in some months, chosen randomly). And if you’re a winner and live outside the US, I’ll do everything I can to get your prize to you ASAP!
- Block Swaps — For those of you who want to swap your gems with other members, we’ll set up a way for you to connect with one another and share your sparkling blocks.
- Chats With Industry Insiders — You’ll have the chance to listen in as I chat with insiders from both the quilting industry and the colored gemstone industry to find out what they’re working on and what brings them joy
- Instagram & Private Facebook Page — We’ll all have a chance to share our progress on Instagram by posting our pictures and using the hashtag #tinytreasuresclub and on our private Facebook page.
- Online Gallery Showcasing Your Work — Each quarter, I’ll select blocks from up to 30 club members to “hang” in an online gallery show. I’ll work hard to ensure that everyone’s work is represented throughout the year. You can view an example of what such a gallery tour might look like by watching the tour I put together to promote my book Gemstone Quilts. CLICK HERE to watch the 3-minute video.
- One Annual Subscription Price — The annual membership fee for the Tiny Treasures Club is $95 USD
Subscribe to Quilting Class Today!